Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tips and Tools Tuesday: Oven thermometer

This tips and tools is so simple and easy that it almost doesn't seem worth mentioning. When we bought our house and settled in I was eager to bake everything and anything. I've never had a problem before but just about everything I baked failed. Thinking that it was me, I just kept on trying. Finally, after some trouble shooting I decided to buy an oven thermometer. It turned out that my preheat signal goes off about 10 minutes too early and my oven has a hard time keeping low temperatures so if I need 250 degrees I have to set it for at least 280.

Every oven is different and sometimes they break or act funny. There was nothing more frustrating than knowing that I spent a lot of time and a lot of money on ingredients only to have it fail and that the solution was a $5 oven thermometer. When baking cookies I always have my eye on the thermometer because with the constant opening and closing of the door, sooner or later I'll end up at 300 degrees.

I have one of these guys. It's great because with the hook you can have it face any direction and 350 degrees is at the center so with a quick glance you can tell if it's ready or not. It's a cheap buy that I doubt anyone ever regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment