Friday, February 12, 2010

Overload on cakes!

I've been doing some trial and error runs for cakes lately. I've been taking pictures of my success and quickly eating the evidence of the failures. Case and point; yesterday I turned out a very successful pumpkin spice cake but then had the failure of my first coffee flavored cake. I was attempting to use actual coffee beans and apparently they need to be ground to a fine dust - otherwise it's like eating tiny pieces of coffee flavored plastic bits .. gross!

Last weekend I made 2 cakes. A small lemon curd cake and an almond pear bundt cake. Both were tasty but I enjoyed the option of not eating lemon for once and had a hearty slice of the almond. The pears couldn't keep up with the almond flavoring so I guess my almond cake is best suited with berries.

Today over at Design*Sponge they posted a recipe for a mini boston cream pie (which is really a cake). Just looking at it I knew I could do a very tasty version and if it wasn't friday afternoon with no one to eat it over the weekend - you better believe I'd be in the kitchen. Pastry cream, vanilla cake and ganache. Doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment