Thursday, May 21, 2009

mediocre people do exceptional things all the time

We've been working hard on getting this whole cottage kitchen together, so hard in fact that I rarely have the energy to update. On Sunday we took on the task of emptying out our storage cabinet in the kitchen in order to delegate it as 'bakery only'. One of the requirements for a cottage kitchen is to have your everyday utensils (spoons, mixing bowls, rolling pins..everything!) separate from the items you need to use in order to run a bakery. I thought that reorganizing the kitchen would be quick and somewhat easy but my husband as a touch of OCD and had a strong opinion of where things should go. I only wanted to use half of the storage unit, he wanted me to use all of it. After much negotiation I am happy to announce that our ikea storage unit in the kitchen devoted to the bakery. Whew. 

Last night we bought a great mini fridge for the bakery. Not only do I have to keep my cutting boards and mixing bowls separate but I also have to keep anything that needs to be refrigerated  or frozen separate. This new fridge seems a little large at first since I basically need it to store eggs, milk, butter but I also realized that down the line I might be doing cakes and I need a fridge to chill the cakes while I'm setting them up and frosting them. While doing my sisters practice wedding cake I quickly realized that the fridge is a necessity in cake construction. Soon enough I'm going to get a chest freezer to keep in the basement. Aside from business insurance, the fridge and freezer are the biggest investment so I consider last night the no turning back point. 

I've been working on converting my recipes from bits of paper that are scattered around into excel spreadsheets. I have to submit my recipes to the Dept of Food and Agriculture to ensure that they are people friendly so I figured that I might as well just get them all in one place and consistent. I'm also reading through all the documentation that the Dept emailed me and starting to get a grip on what's going on. My plan is to focus all my energy on getting this thing going until the distraction of my sisters wedding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment