Wednesday, July 8, 2009

just because they're quick doesn't mean they're easy

I've been working out and testing recipes for quick breads and it's a lot of work. So far I've come up with a bunch of duds. I tried my hand at a blueberry oatmeal bread and it was so bland and dry. Since I had 2 loaves I tried to make good use of it by making french toast out of it but it was so dry that it fell apart. I just had to move on, too frustrating!

I tried out an apple rhubarb bread that I absolutely loved the flavor of but it was very ugly and the texture was off. Rhubarb is a little difficult to get and the taste isn't super common so I'm wondering if it's even worth messing around with to get the texture right. My sister liked it so maybe I'll mess around with it a little later on.

I've also tried to master a sweet potato bread. I love sweet potatoes and in my world there is nothing tastier than a sweet potato french fry. Mmmhmm. I tried two variations of a recipe and both turned out way too sweet and spicy and the sweet potato flavor was completely lost. The looked beautiful, smelled beautiful but in the end I was left with just another sweet bread with no impressive flavor. I am definitely going to mess around with the spice and potato ratio, I love sweet potatoes too much to just give up on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment