Monday, November 30, 2009

PIE!


Hope everyone had a fantastical thanksgiving weekend!
Making my mom's recipe for pie crust was a bit of an adventure for me. It's been a long time since I've used shortening and hopefully it will be a long time until I use it again. For our thanksgiving feast I made blackberry pie for the first time. The crust was a little thick and I was worried about the filling being runny but everything worked out fine. It isn't the prettiest but I think I did pretty well considering it was my first time making pie at home.
I also made an apple pie with a leaf/acorn motif. I totally under estimated on the number of apples I needed so the filling was a little skimpy but still delicious nonetheless. A little secret my mom shared, if you lightly cover and microwave the apples for 4-5 minutes you can drain out the excess moisture and you won't get a soggy pie. The apples still have the perfect amount of crisp to them and it's still moist and perfect without the soaked crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment