Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Reviving the beehive

Hello!
Over 4 years of hibernation and man, do things change. Although I have started multiple blogs during this time; I like the name of this one the most, so, here I am. Since I've had my dedicated craft room situated, I've been cranking out projects left and right. And I want to brag. Facebook didn't seem like the best venue so back to blogger I go. Honestly, the other half is anti google these days and might convert it to tumblr but until then, I'll keep it simple and go with the established route.

For my birthday (3 days ago) I got a cameo silhouette from the husband. Truth be told, I was giddy. I LOVE it. There are a few die cut machines out there but I like the cameo because it doesn't require me to purchase cartridges and it cuts fabric. IT CUTS FABRIC!
In the past I've made onesies and tshirts for friends and family and with the cameo it SIGNIFICANTLY cuts the time. I used to find the image online, size in photoshop, print, cut, trace onto fabric or freezer paper and cut again. Recently I skipped a step by buying tracing paper, whew, big spender right? Now with the cameo, if I don't already have the file I load the image into their software, use their tracing feature and send it off to be cut.
For instance, I made this in about half an hour. I've been keeping an eye out for something to put in the hall bathroom and last night I thought of this. I traced the platypus image from an online source and just cut and layer. I would never attempt to make something this intricate by hand and it was so easy with the cameo.

Ok, enough of my cameo gushing. Little E is getting blessed this weekend and since he doesn't need to wear white, I scoured the internet for cute outfits. If he was a girl, it would have taken me 15 minutes but cute (and somewhat affordable) formal boy outfits are surprisingly hard to come by. I found the pants and hat first at Janie and Jack. They also had a beautiful vest but it was over $30 and I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a simple vest that surely I could make myself. At the fabric store I found something that was good enough but price was covered and really, I wasn't paying attention until I had a half yard cut and it was like $37 a yard! Good thing I had my trusty coupon in tow. I started drafting a pattern, cut it out of muslin and tried it on Little E. Naturally, it was way to small. Guys, I edited and sewed over 6 little muslin vests, no exaggeration. Then I did what the husband referred to as "throwing good money after bad" by buying a pattern at the store. Except I didn't notice the size and the smallest was 3T. I tried scaling it down myself but after yet another muslin vest, it still looked terrible. So I finally did what I should have done in the first place, use a free pattern/tutorial that I found online. Made ANOTHER little muslin vest and it worked! Finally! Between the cost of the fabric and the pattern that I didn't even use, I maybe saved $10 and considering how much trouble it was, it would have been $10 well spent. But, nonetheless, here is his adorable little outfit.


No comments:

Post a Comment