Friday, December 5, 2014

Happy Birthday Cousin!

Today is my nieces 1st birthday. Having an older sister, I knew that she didn't really need anything so I went the crafty route. I decided to make a quiet book. Mostly used to keep kids quiet in church, but I thought it would also be helpful for appointments and such when little ones seems especially squirmy. Don't let the simplicity fool you, these things take time! I doubled up and made each page twice, one for cousin and another for baby E since his birthday isn't too far off. Sewing 18 cupcake cups, 18 pieces of velcro to the tops of the cupcakes and the corresponding piece onto the page...it was a lot. There were little pieces of felt everywhere and the husband was quite happy when I finished. I actually planned on 2 more pages but my patience ran out and we can always add to them down the line. Some of the pages have pieces that are a little small for a 1 year old to play with but I figured that her 4 year old sister could enjoy them and pages can easily be removed and stashed away. I think my favorite page is the apples.


Under each shape is a foam animal sticker.


The water is divided into pockets so you can stuff the fish in. The ribbon to the side of the hair is for hair clips and whatnot.





I also made her a flying squirrel using the below pattern. I made a tester one for baby E which he didn't really care for but I know that cousin is way more into squishy things. And by "is way more into" I mean that she likes to bite and suck and anything squishy.
http://wildolive.blogspot.com/2014/09/guest-project-abby-glassenbergs-flying.html?spref=pi

1 comment: