Friday, November 28, 2014

Diaper bag

I knew it would happen, but I fought it for a long time. Having kids means becoming a pack mule and hauling around your entire house in a bag. I was using a Vera Bradley bag but the handles are too short for me so it never stayed on my shoulder. Then I started using a reusable fabric shopping bag that I got in Japan but it was just one giant bag where it was impossible to find anything.  Eventually I got to the point where I was carrying my wallet (wristlet actually), had a binky in my front pocket and a burper tucked into the band of my pants, phone and car keys in the back pockets. Pretty ridiculous.

For my birthday my sister gave me some fabric that I've been lusting over. I put them in my craft room and would just lovingly gaze at them. I wanted to just cherish and pet the fabric until the end of time but that was just silly so I decided to make myself a "diaper" bag. The blue fabric is from Joanns and it's a heavier almost canvas and the lining is a mustard yellow that I got from Hobby Lobby.
I used the below pattern. Overall I'm pretty happy with the bag with the exception that the back pocket is too big and I'm going to put a snap on the top so it doesn't flop open all the time and you sew the handles directly to the inside of the bag which seems a little tacky after going through all of the effort of making a lining and everything. I also extended the straps by maybe 2-3" and they're a tad too thick, it makes it easier to turn them inside when making the bag but overall the thick bands feel a little "homemade" in my mind. The bag is large and in charge and organized.
http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/free-diaper-bag-pattern.html

Front

Back
The flower fabric is below. It's a medium weight, between a quilting cotton and a canvas. If you love it, buy it, it's discontinued. 

http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabric/designer/joel_dewberry/notting_hill_sateen/primrose_in_midnight

No comments:

Post a Comment