Monday, December 21, 2009

Breaking from the mold

When you baking for a living, it's easy to get sick of making the same thing over and over. I love donuts. Can't get enough of them. I know they're horrible for you but given the opportunity I'm the first one in line at Banbury Cross. I think this is because I don't make donuts. You have the fry them and it's just too much trouble so donuts are the one sweet treat that I'm not completely sick of. Whenever I started at a new bakery I was more than happy to "taste" every little thing that was offered to me but after a few months the novelty of eating anything and everything wares off and you just want a carrot stick.

This christmas I decided to make sugar cookies. At first I wasn't super excited about it because to be honest, they're kind of a pain. You have to make the dough, chill it, have a small window of opportunity to cut the cookies out before the dough warms too much, bake them and then frost them. Once I started though I realized how much I enjoyed myself because even though there are a lot of steps, it's something different. I'm glad that I made myself do it because I think I needed the break from baking the everyday bumbling menu.

I was surprised by how tasty they turned out so I'm submitting the recipes to the Department of Agriculture and soon I'll be able to sell em.



No comments:

Post a Comment