Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tips and Tools Tuesday: Bosch Mixer


I think that every baker wishes for a counter top mixer under the christmas tree if they don't already own one. Luckily for me, my mom had one too many mixers and gave me her Bosch mixer and my life has been a dream since. The Bosch mixer isn't just a mixer, with attachments it's an entire army of kitchen tools. Aside from doing my taxes, I think that my Bosch can do anything. Just check out all the attachments you can get. I own pretty much all of them and my favorites are the food processor and the blender.
This isn't my mixer but the same model. On the base of the machine there is a little mixer kama sutra that shows all the exciting positions the mixer can be put in. Mmmmm..sexy... kinda. Not really.

The mixing attachments are attached to the middle of the bowl, unlike most mixers where the attachments are on a separate arm that gets lowered into the bowl. With most mixers you have the stop and scrape the bottom of the bowl where the attachment can't reach, a problem I've never had. Also, since the attachments are in the bowl I can remove the center of the lid and add ingredients while the mixer is moving. The lids are also great since they fully enclose the bowl so you don't want to worry about things spilling out. My favorite thing to do is to add all the flour at once, put on the lid and watch the flour cloud be contained to the bowl. The bowls I have are HUGE. I've tripled cookie batches and everything still mixes evenly.

The Bosch mixer is a work horse, it has more power than any Kitchen Aid I've used. My mixer is at least 12 years old and still runs perfectly. It runs like a champ and I can mix anything in it, including bread dough. When I first received my mixer I had to learn to not over mix because the mixer has so much power the mixing time is significantly reduced.
I'm not going to lie, Bosch mixers are significantly more than Kitchen Aid but I also believe that you get what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment