Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater

Instead of the usual Tips and Tools Tuesday I thought that I'd do something a little different.
Whenever I make something with pumpkin the recipe rarely calls for an entire can so I almost always have extra pumpkin hanging around. I wanted to make something quick and easy that would use up some of the pumpkin I had.
Disclaimer: I am usually anti boxed cake mix because of all the additives and well, I'm a baking purist. I also understand that not everyone is as comfortable with baking as I am and sometimes you just don't have the time or patience to make a cake from scratch.
I found this great recipe for a pumpkin butterscotch cake. It's super quick and easy to put together and it's really good. Pumpkin and butterscotch really compliment each other. I baked it in a bundt pan but you can bake it in any cake pan. The texture is similar to the average butter cake, it's not a typical dense bundt cake. If you don't have pumpkin pie spice on hand I'd do 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp all spice.

Pumpkin Butterscotch Cake

1 box of yellow or white cake mix
3.4 oz box of instant butterscotch pudding
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix
4 eggs
1 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare pans, either by using parchment paper or spray and flouring; set aside. Combine the cake mix, butterscotch pudding and pumpkin spice and mix until blended. Add the eggs, pumpkin, vegetable oil and water and mix until batter is well blended and not lumpy. Pour into cake pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until cake bounces back when touched. Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

I did a simple powdered sugar glaze for my cake but a cream cheese frosting would also be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment